Give the Gift of Memories
A Life Story Book Gift Designed for Your Family
Every person has moments in their life that helped shape them. Your mother, your father, your grandparents- each has a story to tell, and that story is intricately interwoven with your own. A Porch Swing StorySite provides your loved one with the perfect place to write, encapsulate, and share the stories of their life, preserving them for generations to come.
We strongly believe that preserving family stories is one of the best ways to honor your family and that sharing memories is one of the best gifts you can give. Speak with us today about how you can help give a life story book gift to your family with a Porch Swing gift certificate. We provide a variety of gift certificate packages that allow your loved one to record their unique life story online on their personal StorySite and E-book, and in print with either a printable PDF or a unique hardcover book, depending on your choice of gift certificate.
How to Write a Family Memoir
It can be hard to know where to start when your loved one decides to record the story of their life. We are here to help along every step of this heartwarming and reflective journey. Here are a few tips to help get started:
- The beginning of their StorySite doesn’t have to be the beginning of their life. It can be tempting to want to start a life story at birth, but we recommend starting with one of their most significant memories. This can be a birthday party, their first day of school, a memory of time spent with a loved one, or a number of other meaningful moments.
- Don’t get overwhelmed. If your family member is struggling with topics, we can help. Every time they create a new chapter, we provide suggested topics to help spark inspiration and jog their memory.
- Don’t fall off the writing train. If writer’s block sets in, which happens to everyone at some point, encourage them to keep writing anyway. It can help to carve out time each week to write something, even if it’s just a few sentences. When time is set aside to write, creativity can start to flow, even when we least expect it.
- Think about the audience. When writing a life story, it’s important to keep in mind who this story is being written for. Is this something they will want to share with their children or grandchildren? Or even their friends? It’s important to bear in mind who they want to share their story with, so they can tailor their writing to be engaging for them.
- Have fun and enjoy the journey. Writing a life story can be an emotional and cathartic process. We encourage each writer to really take in this uniquely reflective and touching experience.
Every journey begins with the first step, and every story begins with the first chapter. Start the process of gifting someone close to you with a Porch Swing StorySite today.