Senior year and Mary becomes a flight attendant and September 7 ,1968

Chapter 6 Senior year and Mary becomes a flight attendant and September 7 ,1968
My senior year in college turned out to be very enjoyable.I developed strong friendships with a
couple of classmates in my field.I really liked my course work and I knew then it was my calling
to work in orchards or vineyards.for the first time I was getting good grades and I was
contemplating going to graduate school.
Mary always dreamed of flying.Her dad,Captain Robert Stewart, a retired pilot for American
Airlines encouraged her to be a flight attendant.She moved to Dallas to train.Her flew there to
attend her graduation and proudly pin the wings on her uniform.
Mary was assigned to JFK airport.I flew to New York to be with her.We had a wonderful time,
exploring the city.We even went to upstate NY to spend a couple of days in a ski resort.
We knew then we will get married.
Back in Davis I wrote to my parents telling them our intentions.My mom decided to order a ring
for Mary.MY father arranged a work trip to New York to bring the ring to her Mary asked her
mom to join her and the two of them meet my dad for dinner at his hotel.Later that evening,all
excited,Mary called me to tell me how beautiful the ring was and how pleasant the evening
was.I was engaged and I was not even there!
From time to time Mary would have a flight to SFO and we always had a wonderful time,
planning our future together.
After graduation I was immediately admitted into in a master’s program.I secured a research lab
position in the Pomology department for the summer.
Mary was planning the wedding with her mom in Los Angeles.I had no idea what the
preparations were about but I was so excited!
The date was set,September 7,Corpus Christie Catholic Church in Pacific Palisades.
My parents decided to attend.They arrived a week early, by way of San Francisco.I took them to
farms where new harvest techniques were developed.We saw mechanical harvest of canning
tomatoes with substantial amount of waste and shaking of peach trees collecting into a big cone
the fruit being destined to be canned.My mom declared”I saw enough”Of course they were
raised in a culture where everything is done by hand and certainly no waste.
We left on Thursday and drove to LA in two days, taking the scenic route along the Pacific
coast.We arrived to Mary’s parents house a day before the wedding.Upon Mary, shortly after my
mom took me to aside and said”Does she have longer dresses?”It was a time when “mini skirts”
were in fashion!
My parents and I meet everybody in front of the church.Mary’s two brothers and three of my
college friends went to the front of the autel and soon Mary appeared down the isle with her
dad,who because he contacted polio,on crutches, managed to walk to the front of the church.It
was a beautiful ceremony,officiated by a priest a friend of the bride.
The reception took place at her parents house,under Southern California blue sky.Everything
was perfect.Even my father remarked”I should have invited the French Consul of Los Angeles”
The next day we took my parents to the airport to take they flight home.

Leave a Comment